As a Process Technician at Horizon, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the success of our operations by monitoring, adjusting, and maintaining equipment throughout various units in the Upgrading and Utilities area. In this dynamic role, you will operate a variety of equipment, gain knowledge of process operations, and be responsible for operating process equipment in a safe and reliably manner, optimizing production rates through monitoring process conditions and utilizing specific operating procedures.
You will be required to work in the following units of the Secondary Upgrading Area of the Horizon Plant:
1. Distillate Hydrotreater
2. Gas Oil Hydrotreater
3. Naphtha Hydrotreater
4. Hydrogen Reformers and CO Plant
This position is based at our Horizon Oil Sands site in Fort McMurray, Alberta and:
• Has a 7 days on, 7 days off, 7 nights on, 7 days off, 12 hour shift rotation.
• Rotation begins Wednesday
• Eligible for relocation to Calgary, Edmonton or Fort McMurray
• Eligible for company sponsored Fly-In/Fly-Out and Accommodations Program with charter flights from Calgary or Edmonton
COMPETITIVE SALARY - STOCK OPTIONS - STOCK SAVINGS PLAN - ANNUAL BONUSES - BENEFITS - LOCATION PREMIUMS - RELOCATION - FLY IN/FLY OUT AND ACCOMMODATIONS PROGRAM!
HOW WILL YOU MAKE YOUR MARK?
• Strive to achieve operational excellence by setting goals, developing plans, accomplishing accountable results, and ensuring that the highest level of standard is maintained
• Safely operate, monitor, adjust, and maintain process equipment to ensure production rates are achieved
• Monitor and evaluate all process related equipment (Ex; pumps, compressors, furnaces, critical valves, etc) for reliable and continuous operation
• Develop competencies to effectively troubleshoot and problem solve operating issues that will impact safety, reliability, or production
• Review and evaluate equipment deficiencies and if required, initiate maintenance work requests
• Prepare equipment, as necessary, for maintenance activities using CNRL Lock Out Tag Out Standard
• Rotate between different processing units within Primary Upgrading
• Prioritize, issue, and authorize Safe Work Permits within qualified units
• Sample products, record and analyze unit data, adjust unit parameters meet to product specifications
• Maintain a detailed log of process conditions, and any adjustments made to maintain safe and reliable operation
• Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), review, improve as required, or develop new SOP’s
• Participate in safety audits and safety programs and maintain a safe work environment
• Mentor and develop new staff through proper operating etiquette, effective rounds, valuable readings, and documenting detailed unit conditions
• Learn all units/job classifications included in your progression
• Operate DCS panel from a main control room to monitor and optimize processes variables for Safe, Reliable, and On-spec Production
• Participate in planned shutdowns, and start-up’s
• Will also be responsible for responding to unit upsets and unplanned outages
• Preferred 5+ years of related industry experience, but not a prerequisite for employment
• 3rd Class Power Engineering Certificate is required
• Must have High School Diploma or GED
• Chemical or Petroleum Technology Diploma and/or craftsman background would be considered an advantage
• Expertise in:
o Working in a refinery, oil sands upgrader, or related petroleum industry
o Working with DCS and advance controls. Specific it Delta V
o Petroleum industry related pumps, compressors, distillation columns, furnaces, major oil & gas drilling equipment
o Experience in working as a maintenance technician or trades person is an asset
• Proof of a valid Class 5 Alberta Driver's License, or equivalent, is required
Our Horizon Oil Sands Mining Operations
Horizon Oil Sands is a world class asset offering countless opportunities to advance your career. Comprised of surface oil sands mining and bitumen upgrading facilities, this vast project offers challenging opportunities in an environment where teamwork, innovation, and your expertise are valued. Apply your abilities using industry leading technologies and contribute to the success of the Horizon Oil Sands.
About Canadian Natural
At Canadian Natural, we strive to live through our mission statement: "To develop people to work together to create value for the Company's shareholders by doing it right with fun and integrity." As a leading oil and gas producer, our diverse combination of assets include light oil, heavy oil, in situ oil sands production, oil sands mining and upgrading facilities, and natural gas. At Canadian Natural, safety is a core value. We conduct all of our operations in a way that identifies, minimizes and mitigates harm to the health and safety of employees, contractors, the public and the environment.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited - CNRL - is a publicly traded company on the TSX and NYSE as CNQ.