AltaGas is an energy infrastructure business with a focus on natural gas, power, and regulated utilities. We have, and continue to build, a solid portfolio of assets to serve producers and to provide clean and affordable energy to our customers. We continuously strive to build dynamic teams to support our future growth. We provide opportunity, challenge and competitive compensation within a positive work environment that motivates people to build careers within our company. AltaGas’ success is driven by a skilled team of more than 1700 employees.
Rapid expansion of our business has created a wide range of career opportunities for qualified individuals. If you want to work for a company that offers work/life balance, financial assistance to support continuous learning and growth, and that has a solid track record of success with an achievement-oriented organizational culture, AltaGas may be the right company for you.
Reporting to the Manager, Internal Audit and Controls, this position is responsible for performing complex level professional internal auditing work as well as assisting with the CSOx Compliance Program. Work involves leading or performing operational, compliance, financial and technology audit projects; providing consulting services to the organization’s management and staff; providing input to development of the annual audit plan; and providing training to internal audit staff. This includes continuous improvement of CSOx processes and procedures to ensure ongoing compliance and efficiency. This individual will also be required to maintain all organizational and professional ethical standards.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Performs audit procedures, including identifying and defining issues, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing evidence, and documenting client processes and procedures.
- Performs interviews, reviews documents, develops and administers surveys, composes summary memos, and prepares working papers.
- Identifies, develops, and documents audit issues and recommendations using independent judgement concerning areas being reviewed.
- Assists in communicating the results of audit and consulting projects via written reports and oral presentations to management and the board of directors.
- Develops and maintains productive client and staff relationships through individual contacts and group meetings.
- Pursues professional development opportunities, including external and internal training and professional association memberships, and shares information gained with co-workers.
- Represents internal audit on organizational project teams, at management meetings, and with external organizations.
- Performs audits related to operational, compliance, finance and technology.
- Performs testing of business process controls and IT application controls for the company’s annual CSOx certification.
- Assists in the development of a global plan for testing the design and operating effectiveness of process and IT application controls, and evaluate multi-location scoping considerations.
- Works collaboratively with management to identify required actions needed.
- Identifies and evaluates the organization’s risk areas and provides input to the development of the annual audit plan.
- Performs related work as assigned by the Manager
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, certification such as a CPA and/or CIA, and 5-7 years of full-time experience in industry auditing and accounting.
- Additional certifications considered an asset.
- Experience in leading and conducting audits in various areas pertinent to the industry.
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems, and drawing logical conclusions.
- Knowledge of industry program policies, procedures, regulations, and laws. Ability to negotiate issues and resolve problems.
- Considerable knowledge of and skill in applying internal auditing and accounting principles and practices, and management principles and preferred business practices.
- Good knowledge of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics developed by The Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Skill in conducting quality control reviews of audit work products.
- Knowledge of management information systems terminology, concepts, and practices.
- Considerable skill in using a computer with word processing, spreadsheet, and other business software to prepare reports, memos, summaries, and analyses.
- Considerable skill in effective verbal and written communications, including active listening skills and skill in presenting findings and recommendations.
- Considerable skill in planning and project management, and in maintaining composure under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, staff and external contacts, and to work effectively in a professional team environment.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resumes in confidence to the Human Resources Department by visiting www.altagas.ca/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No agency referrals or telephone inquiries at this time, please.