Manager External Reporting
AltaGas is an energy infrastructure business with a focus on natural gas, power, and regulated utilities. We have, and continue to build, a solid portfolio of assets to serve producers and to provide clean and affordable energy to our customers. We continuously strive to build dynamic teams to support our future growth. We provide opportunity, challenge and competitive compensation within a positive work environment that motivates people to build careers within our company. AltaGas’ success is driven by a skilled team of more than 1700 employees.
Rapid expansion of our business has created a wide range of career opportunities for qualified individuals. If you want to work for a company that offers work/life balance, financial assistance to support continuous learning and growth, and that has a solid track record of success with an achievement-oriented organizational culture, AltaGas may be the right company for you.
Reporting to the Controller, Corporate, this position is responsible for providing leadership in the development of effective and efficient reporting processes and controls to support the financial accounting and reporting requirements of the organization.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the financial reporting activities including preparation of the financial statements, Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) and other externally released financial information such as the annual information form (AIF)
- Assist in the preparation of materials for the audit committee, disclosure committee and other sub-committees
- Manage and complete various month end close processes including the review of the monthly journal entry for financial instruments
- Provide GAAP information, training and support to accounting staff
- Prepare GAAP research papers to support accounting transactions
- Manage projects associated with U.S. GAAP and other regulatory changes
- Maintain internal controls with respect to the financial statement close process and identify and implement process improvements as required
- Provide advice and guidance on technical accounting matters to internal stakeholders as required
- Build effective relationships with internal stakeholders
- Demonstrate and promote leadership attributes including the recruiting and retention of a highly-skilled professional staff
- Develop, maintain and update accounting policy manual
- Liaise with the external auditors for matters relating to the consolidated financial statements
- Special projects as required
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) accounting designation with minimum of 7 - 9 years of progressively senior level experience in accounting/finance
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP and/or IFRS
- Experience with XBRL tagging would be an asset
- Enthusiastic, innovative and motivated team player with effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Advanced analytical and problem solving abilities
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to prioritize, work under pressure with minimal guidance and meet tight deadlines
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resumes in confidence to the Human Resources Department by visiting www.altagas.ca/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No agency referrals or telephone inquiries at this time, please.