OPERATOR, NORTHWEST HYDRO FACILITIES
AltaGas is an energy infrastructure business with a focus on natural gas, power, and regulated utilities. We have, and continue to build, a solid portfolio of assets to serve producers and to provide clean and affordable energy to our customers. We continuously strive to build dynamic teams to support our future growth. We provide opportunity, challenge and competitive compensation within a positive work environment that motivates people to build careers within our company. AltaGas’ success is driven by a skilled team of more than 1700 employees.
Rapid expansion of our business has created a wide range of career opportunities for qualified individuals. If you want to work for a company that offers work/life balance, financial assistance to support continuous learning and growth, and that has a solid track record of success with an achievement-oriented organizational culture, AltaGas may be the right company for you.
We are currently hiring for a new member to our small team of dedicated professionals to manage the operation and maintenance of our Northwest Hydroelectric Facilities, consisting of Forrest Kerr, Volcano Creek and McLymont Creek Generating Stations.
Reporting to the Manager Operations, this position is responsible for all aspects of routine day-to-day operations, as well as routine maintenance and facility emergency repairs. Additionally, candidates should be technologically savvy with the desire to train as the plant control room operator. The ideal incumbent will have experience operating a similar run-of-river hydro generating station. However, the role is also suited to a Journeyman Millwright or other certified/qualified candidates with hands on experience in plant maintenance from other industries.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Monitoring and controlling all plant equipment at all three of the Northwest Hydro Generating Facilities. This includes powerhouses, intakes, switchyards, roads and transmission lines;
- Day-to-day inspection and recording of operating parameters including output levels, temperatures, vibration levels and condition status;
- Investigating and repairing major and minor equipment faults – both mechanical and electrical on a 24/7 basis while on duty;
- Assisting with planning major maintenance activities;
- Completing routine and unplanned maintenance as part of the team which may or may not include outside contractors;
- Preparing or assisting with the preparation of operation and maintenance reports;
- Monitoring and reporting on river flows and other environmental factors;
- Responsible for coordinating LOTO’s and issuing work permits;
- Responsible for coordinating and monitoring work at the facilities in a safe and responsible manner;
- Communicating to multi-disciplinary teams, contractors and the shift lead on plant activities to ensure safe and reliable operation of the plants
- Experience with hands on mechanical maintenance of industrial equipment required;
- Experience in run-of-river hydro generating station would be considered an asset;
- Computer savvy with experience in MS Word, Excel and office suite software;
- Experience with industrial control systems such as SAP or similar;
- Consideration will be given to candidates with the following trades/certifications that also have experience with hands on mechanical maintenance on industrial equipment:
- Journeyman Millwright
- Journeyman Electrician
- Heavy Duty Mechanic
- 3rd-4th Class Power Engineer
- Mechanical Engineering Technologist
- Crane Operators with A-ticket
- A valid driver’s license is required.
About this opportunity:
- A permanent camp has been constructed for the operations team. The facilities include private rooms, bathrooms, a weight room, entertainment area and other amenities
- The schedule will be 14 days on followed by 14 days off. Note that travel days occur on days outside of the 14 day shift. During time on, Operators will be “on-call” in the case of emergencies
- On-the-job training will be provided
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resumes in confidence to the Human Resources Department by visiting www.altagas.ca/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No agency referrals or telephone inquiries at this time, please.