OPERATOR – EDMONTON ETHANE EXTRACTION PLANT (EEEP)
Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Team Leader Operations, this position requires the successful incumbent to initially work 10-hour day shifts for the six month training program. Following the training, this position would then transition to working a varied Day and Night shift schedule.
What you’ll be doing:
- Achieve the safe, efficient and environmentally sound operations of all EEEP equipment and connecting pipelines
- Provide quick identification and response to emergency situations. Understand, abide by, and follow Emergency Response Procedures
- Work with the Senior Operator or Operations Team Lead to continually improve site specific training, process safety management and special projects. Also updating operating procedures by scheduled review or immediately if conditions require
- Respond during unit upsets, adverse conditions or serious situations using team members, management or external expertise as required
- Ensure that all work activities on site comply with all AltaGas’ guidelines, EOH&S, codes of practice and other policies and to address concerns immediately and notify Senior Operator or Operations Team Lead as required
- Troubleshoot process equipment and concerns, communicates and assists other outside operators when required
- Participate in pre-jobs and work permitting and is responsible to the control room to ensure non-routine or high-risk jobs are reported to and approved by the Senior Operator or Operations Team Lead
- Prepare equipment for maintenance following all process and safety procedures which include lock out / tag out, personal protective equipment, confined space entry and all environmental performance standards
- Ensure good housekeeping in assigned units, but also responsible to clean up any areas that may present any safety or environmental hazards
- Continuously improve skills and knowledge to enhance professional competence in order to effectively complete responsibilities and perform your job tasks. Must be responsible for learning new systems and processes in the facility as they are installed
- Report any health, safety, security, environmental or EOH&S management system incident, concerns or near misses. Report and record all non-conformances (environmental and medical aid, etc)
- Be available with assisting the maintenance department in the capacity of general maintenance
- Generate work orders for equipment with the Senior Operator or Operations Team Lead to review. Enter Work Order requests for equipment repairs in the Maximo system
- Assist in plant HSE Inspections as required, Serve as a member of Plant HS&E Committee as required
- Maintain sensitive and confidential information regarding company information
- Must be willing to work required overtime
- Other duties deemed necessary for the safe and effective operation of EEEP
What you must have:
- Hold a Power Engineering Diploma or Certification 4th Class at a Minimum, 3rd Class would be considered an asset
- 10 years gas plant based experience
- Ability to identify and respond quickly to operating deviations to maintain safe operating conditions in the plant and to minimize downtime in the plant.
- Understand environmental impacts, health, safety and security risks.
- H2S Alive, First Aid, CPR, Confined Space Entry certifications
- Ability to read and interpret operating manuals, Plant P&ID’s.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Computer knowledge would be considered an asset
Where you’ll be working:
The Edmonton Ethane Extraction Plant (EEEP) is located within the city limits in south Edmonton, Alberta. EEEP is a gas extraction straddle plant with a gross production capacity of 23,000 Bbls/d of specification ethane and 7,500 Bbls/d of natural gas liquids (NGLs). It is connected to several pipeline systems, which provides the opportunity for valuable liquids such as ethane, propane, and butane to be processed for commercial and industrial use. To learn more visit EEEP.
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. At this time, we are not accepting agency referrals or telephone inquiries.