TERMINAL OPERATOR – HARMATTAN
Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Superintendent, this position is responsible for safely managing the day to day operations for the Didsbury Loading Terminal for the Harmattan Facility.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensure the safe operation of the terminal by maintaining awareness for personal safety and that of co-workers, outside contractors and customers
- Understand and apply AltaGas Safety and Environmental policies, procedures and standards
- Work safely with the proper personal protective equipment, and address any hazardous situations immediately
- Ability to spot rail cars in yard and set up rail cars for product loading
- Ensure the reliable operation of the terminal by regularly and carefully monitoring equipment conditions and quickly addressing any deviations
- Issue or authorize work permits in accordance with Company standards
- Participate as a member of the Emergency Response Team; actively participate in emergency situations (fire/spill) when required; maintain certification for St. Johns first aid/CPR and portable defibrillator
- Monitor loading rack activity and ensure compliance with all government regulations and AltaGas policies
- Maintain effective communication with key stakeholders (i.e. supervision, other employees, and customers)
- Perform Driver Orientations when required to ensure safe operation of truck loading rack
- Perform all routine jobs associated with loading propane rail cars
- Perform track inspections, rail car inspections and minor facility maintenance
- Perform snow removal and housekeeping duties
- Perform sampling and testing as per schedule or when required by quality issues
- Maintain demonstrated ability to perform all job functions
- Be available for on-call duties on a rotating basis for after hour emergencies and have the ability to act as the first responder to emergencies
- Work as a team player to ensure the daily propane production from the Harmattan facility is loaded safely and that there are no delays or back logs of inventory that may cause facility outages
What you must have:
- Must possess the physical capabilities to safely perform all essential aspects and responsibilities of a Terminal Operator position
- Must possess the mechanical aptitude to capably handle the operation of terminal equipment and maintenance skills
- Demonstrated ability to operate computerized equipment
- Strong computer skills (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Knowledge of WHMIS/Transporting Dangerous Goods
- Technical Standards and Safety Authority Petroleum Mechanic Helper
- Certified in St. Johns First Aid/CPR, portable defibrillator is an asset
- Demonstrated safety mindset; ability to actively participate in all safety initiatives
- Ability to participate as an active member of the Emergency Response Team
- Facility Operation knowledge
- Organizational skills
- Leadership skills
- Track Inspector Level 2 certification would be an asset
- Previous knowledge of tank farm, propane rail car loading and propane truck loading facility operation
Where you’ll be working:
The Harmattan Gas Processing Complex processes and extracts gas. It is one of the largest gas plants in Alberta and is located 100 kilometres north of Calgary near Sundre Alberta. Harmattan extracts NGLs from the raw natural gas delivered for processing, fractionates the recovered NGLs into specification ethane, propane, butane and condensate, and provides storage and terminalling services for each product. To learn more visit the Harmattan Gas Processing Complex.
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. At this time, we are not accepting agency referrals or telephone inquiries.