CLOUD SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT
Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Director Enterprise Infrastructure & Operations, the Cloud Solutions Architect will design, deploy, and migrate systems for IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS environments. The position is responsible for identification and selection of appropriate cloud services based on requirements and constraints, has deep subject matter expertise, and can evaluate new technologies for fit in current infrastructure architecture. The Cloud Solutions Architect will serve as a technical advisor to management concerning the planning, development, design, procurement, maintenance, and implementation of enterprise-level systems in Microsoft Azure to support highly-available, scalable, and secure applications.
What you’ll be doing:
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of company’s strategic business plans
- Provide architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to systems analysts, infrastructure operations resources, and other systems architects
- Document and develop in-depth knowledge of company’s existing IT cloud architecture/infrastructure, and technology portfolio
- Develop and manage an IT cloud infrastructure capacity plan
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce a cloud technology standards policy
- Solid understanding of cloud cost models and features, how these compare and how they can be leveraged by workloads and applications to ensure maximum business value
- Conduct research on emerging cloud technologies in support of infrastructure development efforts and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and infrastructure flexibility
- Develop, document, make recommendations, and communicate plans for investing in IT cloud infrastructure, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities
- Design, develop, and oversee implementation of end-to-end IT cloud integrated systems
- Develop and execute test plans to check IT cloud infrastructure and systems technical performance. Report on findings and make recommendations for improvement
What you must have:
- Excellent understanding of typical multi-tier architectures: web servers, caching, application servers, load balancers, and storage
- Mature operational understanding of both traditional and cloud infrastructure hosting in order to assist operational teams and platform SMEs, moving from traditional hosting support to cloud support
- Must possess a minimum of ten (10) years of experience doing application and/or infrastructure solution architecture
- Must possess a minimum of three (3) years of experience building cloud architecture with Azure, using Azure Resource Manager, Azure IaaS, and/or PaaS offerings and services
- Must have experience migrating systems to the cloud and designing DevOps operational processes, deployment checklists
- Must have working knowledge of at least one configuration management tool, such as Ansible, Chef, and/or Puppet
- Knowledge of message queuing and Enterprise Service Bus (ESB)
- Familiarity with loose coupling and stateless systems
- Understanding of different consistency models in distributed systems
- Hands-on experience with core LAN/WAN network technologies
- Experience with route tables, access control lists, firewalls, NAT, HTTP, DNS, IP and OSI Network.
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle
- Work experience with information and application security concepts including public key encryption, remote access, access credentials, and certificate-based authentication., mechanisms, and tools
- Experience writing complex PowerShell scripts
- Experience with monitoring tools, such as Solarwinds
- Awareness of end-user computing and collaborative technologies
- Knowledge of large-scale distributed systems architecture
- Experience with system performance tuning
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and take action on it
- Excellent analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Logical and efficient, with keen attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Where you’ll be working:
This position will be located in our Head Office in downtown Calgary, AB. To learn more about our organization please visit AltaGas 101.
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. At this time, we are not accepting agency referrals or telephone inquiries.