R.J. Burnside & Associates (Burnside) is currently seeking a Project Manager to join our Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Team. This position can be based out of one of our offices in Barrie, Orangeville, Mississauga or Guelph.
In this position you will report to the VP Environment and Leader of our Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Team. You will managing and lead the successful implementation of renewable energy and energy conservation projects; be responsible for the day-to-day client liaison and project team collaboration on assigned projects to manage expectations, assist with project delivery and marketing, and ensure that the client’s goals are achieved within agreed upon timelines and costs.
The position will involve (but is not limited to) carrying out the following tasks, and includes:
- Managing the successful integration of internal and external multi-disciplinary teams.
- Developing and analyzing options/alternatives to achieve client goals, ensuring high quality service delivery to clients within agreed upon scope, schedule, and cost; establishing expectations and providing direction, technical input, and clarity to project team; scheduling work for efficient project execution based on constraints and critical path issues; conducting research and collaborating with subject matter experts as required to inform recommendations to client.
- Clearly communicating verbal and written recommendations to client based on sound technical and strategic advice; coordination with project team members to maintain project schedule; on-going and proactive communication with client to advise on project status and potential deviations required to achieve client goals (e.g., changes in scope, schedule, and/or costs).
- Taking responsibility for project outcomes and implementing corrective measures in consultation with the client as required to facilitate a successful outcome.
- Ensuring our work has achieved the client’s goals and contractual requirements; reviewing and editing deliverables for technical, functional, and aesthetic quality assurance.
- As assigned, identify new potential business opportunities/initiatives; lead and be involved with the preparation of proposals; establishing and maintaining relationships with the local community and approval agencies; attending and representing the firm at industry conferences; etc.
- Nurturing and further developing existing client base through establishing and maintaining client relationships.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with people or organizations that could impact or be impacted by the project and managing their interaction with the project as needed.
- Effectively identifying and obtaining all municipal, provincial and/or federal approvals and permits.
- Management of the financial aspects of the project; processing of invoices; collecting receivables; timesheet completion; record keeping; etc.
- As assigned, negotiating and executing contracts with clients, sub-consultants and other entities related to the project.
- Developing and maintaining a positive team atmosphere among your project team members; understanding team member concerns and working with them to solve problems; inspiring team members by demonstrating and encouraging passionate performance; empowering staff through effective delegation, mentorship and training.
- Must be prepared to travel within Canada.
Professional Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications
The following qualifications, experience and skills are required:
- Completion of a relevant program at an accredited post-secondary institution (e.g., mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, renewable energy, energy efficiency, etc.).
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Ontario and/or with CEM certification are preferred. Candidates also licensed in to work in one or more Western Canadian Provinces would be helpful.
- Minimum 6 years of work experience, with at least 3 years of experience in a related field
- Extensive experience with renewable energy (e.g., solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, water, etc.) and/or energy conservation/efficiency (e.g., energy audit, energy retrofit, LEED®, etc.) projects
- Experience in successfully planning and executing complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Thorough understanding of legislation affecting renewable energy and energy efficiency project implementation, including experience working with regulatory authorities to obtain approvals/permits.
- Thorough understanding of funding and incentive programs affecting renewable energy and energy efficiency projects.
- Strong background in conducting financial project analyses and making recommendations regarding project viability.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and technical and financial energy modelling software (e.g., RETScreen, HOMER, CAN-QUEST, EE4, Trace, HAP, etc.).
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Determination to set and manage priorities to meet all deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
The following are considered assets:
- Experience in developing community energy plans
- Experience in implementing micro grids
- LEED® and/or WELL® certification would be considered an asset.
- Candidates also licensed in to work in one or more Western Canadian Provinces would be helpful.
Founded in 1970, R.J. Burnside & Associates Limited is a progressive Canadian owned multi discipline engineering and environmental consultancy firm with over 345 staff and a proven track record of providing the highest service to clients in the Public, Private, International and Aboriginal sectors.
We have 11 offices across Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta and work on projects throughout Canada and the Caribbean.
Burnside’s traditional focus has been infrastructure engineering, including water supply, sewage treatment, surface water and resources and storm-water management, roads and bridges and agricultural drainage. Services have been expanded to include specialty areas in hydrogeology, environmental assessment and planning, monitoring and compliance, site assessments, remediation and cleanup, solid waste management, structures and building services, and transportation.
We take pride in our people and our company has a strong reputation as being a great place to work. We are always interested in speaking with talented people who wish to share their careers with us at any of our offices. We offer excellent compensation and benefits, including RSP and Profit Sharing Plans, Fitness Benefits, Flexible Hours, Career Development Opportunities, Mentoring, Continuing Education, Social Activities and a working environment second to none.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and we welcome or consider resumes from all qualified candidates.
Burnside will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the entire recruitment, assessment and selection process, as required. If you are a person with a disability and require an accommodation during these processes, please contact our Human Resources department.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.