The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is seeking a Friendly Phone Volunteer to work with the Community Health Teams. Reporting to the Friendly Phone Program Coordinator, this position brings volunteers into direct regular contact with older adults who feel isolated from their community in order to provide them with companionship and a connection with their community.
- Makes regular phone visits to assigned older adult clients
- Provides professional companionship, conversation and engages in meaningful discussions
- Spends time in conversation which interests both the older adult friend and the volunteer
- Makes regular outbound phone calls to assigned older adult clients
- Consults with Friendly Visiting Coordinator, as required, for contact with other health professionals and for referrals to other services
- Provides client centered support
- Uses personal phone to make phone visits
- Maintains timely and accurate records of each client visit
- Reports any health or safety concerns to the Supervisor
- Provides monthly activity reports to Supervisor
- Places outbound calls to confirm, cancel or update visit times
The incumbent must have the commitment to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement and model the core competencies of the CRCS; team excellence, service excellence, accountability and results focused.
- Related education or experience in social work, counselling, nursing, senior/elder studies, or equivalent health / social sciences program or a combination of education or experience is an asset; related life experience will be considered
- This position requires a satisfactory Canadian Criminal Record Reference check and a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check. This position requires that provincially mandated checks are satisfactory
- General knowledge and understanding of concerns that might arise with older adults
- General knowledge of local community resources and events
- General knowledge of intergenerational relationships
- Excellent interpersonal skills including handling interactions with clients and colleagues required
- Intermediate English and/or French speaking, reading and writing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal or distance supervision
- Ability to work as part of an effective team
- Demonstrated ability to listen and empathize with clients concerning personal and/or health-related issues
- Clear understanding of privacy and confidentiality
- The majority of the work is performed from volunteers home
- May involve working alone
- The hours for this position are flexible and dependent on client need and volunteer availability
- A minimum 6-month commitment preferred
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
If you have previously applied to a position on our website, input your e-mail address and password below to login. Once logged in, you will be able to see the status of your prior applications and apply for new positions. If the login fails with one email, please try all other possible email addresses you may have used in the past.