Public Relations Team Member
The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, has volunteer positions available as part of the Communications Volunteer Team. Reporting to the Communications Lead Volunteer, the Public Relations Team Member will volunteer to help promote the Canadian Red Cross and its programs and services through engagement with media and developing content.
Responsibilities could include:
- Act as a spokesperson in times of disaster and/or facilitate local media requests (key messaging provided).
- Positions the Canadian Red Cross as the charity of choice during fundraising appeals
- Research, write and edit stories to promote the work of the Canadian Red Cross at the local level
- Supports the Communications Department with media training
- Create audio-visual content for use on social media locally and provincially
- Support promotion of Red Cross activities through social media
- Proactively pitches story ideas to the media to promote Red Cross services and programs
- Participates with proactive media pitches locally to garner media coverage for Red Cross in their region
- Works with Emergency Management department to gather content during appeals or when profiling local Red Cross volunteers
- Performs other duties, as required
Education and Experience
- The minimum qualifications for this position are post-secondary education and a minimum of two years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in marketing, communications or journalism
- Experience working with media, and existing relationships with local media is considered an asset
Abilities and Skills
- Strong verbal, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Proficient use of computer applications (internet and database research skills, Microsoft Word, Power Point, Outlook, etc.)
- Strong communication and interviewing skills
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances
- Neutral and able to adhere to Red Cross Fundamental Principles
- Willingness to travel within the region
- Volunteer work can primarily be done remotely from home, with occasional time in an office environment for team meetings
- Must be available on short notice to respond potentially during daytime or evening hours
- Must have access to a computer
This position requires a successful Canadian criminal reference check (with vulnerable sector screening).
The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
If you have previously applied to a position on our website, input your e-mail address and password below to login. Once logged in, you will be able to see the status of your prior applications and apply for new positions. If the login fails with one email, please try all other possible email addresses you may have used in the past.