An opportunity exists for a Drafting Group Manager to join our integrated, multi-disciplinary team that delivers practical design and construction solutions for hydroelectric, transportation and complex geotechnical projects. The successful candidate will be working as part of Klohn Crippen Berger’s Power and Transportation Group (P+T) based in Vancouver.
The P+T group is a highly motivated and hardworking team committed to delivering high quality services to clients across Canada. You would be joining a team that includes drafters, designers, GIS specialists and engineers. Team members have a range of diverse experiences from dynamic new graduates through to people with forty or more years in the industry.
In addition to the management of staff, workloads and standards, we are looking for an individual who will be able to help guide our group as we and our clients transition from traditional AutoCAD based 2D drawings to 3D platforms such as Civil3D, Revit, Inventor and SolidWorks. Our drafters and technicians have been working with most of these platforms for a number of years but the composition and skills of the group must continue to adapt to changing client requirements.
The successful candidate would work in a role with a balance of technical and management tasks and would maintain a role as a senior drafter / designer or senior reviewer of drawing deliverables.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Work directly with the Drafting Team, Project Managers, and Engineers to ensure project requirements are met.
- Accountable for timely delivery and accuracy of finished design drawings
- Ability to work cooperatively with our current senior drafting team to develop and / or implement drafting standards, both client-based standards and standards developed by KCB.
- Manage the workflow and provide supervision, mentorship, training and coaching to a department of approximately 10-15 Drafters.
- Develop and manage integrated workflow between various software platforms (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Revit, GIS and SolidWorks).
- Grow and develop a team of civil, structural, electrical and mechanical designers.
- Manage drafting hardware/software for all drafting staff and direct/liaise implementation with IT.
- Identify and implement opportunities for continuous improvement of drafting processes through the use of technology, process refinements, and utilization of information.
- Certificate/Diploma of Engineering Technology, Diploma of Engineering (Drafting/Design) or Civil/Structural Drafting from a Canadian accredited program
- Minimum 10 years of drafting experience
- Minimum 2 years management experience
- Excellent English communication skills, verbal and written.
- Excellent AutoCAD 2D and 3D-Modelling skills (Revit, or Civil 3D would be an asset)
- Proficient in the use of external reference files and able to use layer naming conventions as per client drafting standards a must
- Proficient in drawing layout
- Strong knowledge of hydroelectric facilities is an asset
- Strong knowledge of BC Hydro standards is an asset
- Ability to interpret mechanical, structural and geotechnical drawings
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in a fast pace environment
- Strong communication, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task work under pressure to meet the project deadline
- Fast learner, detail oriented and self-motivated
Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd. (KCB) is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm with four major business units providing engineering and environmental services in the hydropower, transportation, ports, infrastructure, geotechnical, mining, oil sands, oil & gas, environmental, and water resources sectors. We offer a full range of services from our offices in Canada, Australia, Peru, the UK and the US. Klohn Crippen Berger is a platinum member of Canada’s Best Managed companies.
Klohn Crippen Berger’s Power and Transportation Business Unit provides multi-discipline engineering services for projects in a variety of market sectors. Our Engineering disciplines include civil, structural, geotechnical, mechanical, electrical, and hydrotechnical engineering, and environmental services.
- Our hydroelectric team performs all phases of design for hydroelectric projects for large utilities and smaller independent power projects.
- Our ports and harbours group is a leader in the development of major facilities on Canada’s coasts and internationally.
- Our structural capabilities design and rehabilitation; seismic analysis and design; and all elements of heavy industrial engineering.
- Our bridge engineering group designs new bridges, bridge rehabilitations, and performs construction engineering.
- Our mining design team is involved in a wide variety of projects including mine tailings for mineral and oil sands mining clients both in Canada and internationally.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified career seekers. We offer professional career development tracks, competitive salaries commensurate with experience and an attractive benefits package designed to suit your individual needs.
Are you up to the challenge?
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, simply apply online with your resume and covering letter quoting the job reference number 1460-P19.
We thank all candidates for applying, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.