An opportunity exists for a junior Mechanical Engineer to join our integrated, multi-disciplinary design team which delivers practical engineering design and construction solutions to our clients on a broad range of major infrastructure projects. The successful candidate will be working as part of Klohn Crippen Berger’s Power and Transportation Group based in Vancouver.
The KCB mechanical group has several senior engineers with between 15 and 40 years of experience in our industry, as well as several intermediate engineers. Most of our projects are unique and we specialize in interesting tasks that require creative thinking, solid design skills, and an understanding of how mechanical systems operate. We get involved with the full design cycle, from developing concepts to supervising construction and commissioning, as well as maintenance assessments of older equipment. For these reasons a position at KCB will provide an ideal environment for a junior engineer to learn and grow their career. We currently have a reasonably heavy work load, so a successful candidate will be very quickly involved in interesting design tasks.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- work with diverse teams of discipline engineers, designers and drafters from conceptual design through preliminary and final design and engineering
- perform technical calculations and analysis within the project team(s)
- be a member of site visit teams, gathering information as required to complement the related design activities
If you have a Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and 1 – 2 years of related experience, we want to hear from you.
We value your:
- strong technical design and analytical skills
- E.I.T. registration or eligibility for registration with EGBC
- effective verbal and written communication skills in English, with demonstrated competent report writing skills
- understanding of how mechanical systems function and how components wear and fail
- hands on practical experience with repairs, modifications, and / or new builds, either through work, school projects, or hobbies.
- strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a multi-disciplinary team of professionals
- experience and/or ability to perform outdoor and / or field/construction services
- ability to maintain quality throughout a project, implementing improvements when required
- strong computer skills, ideally including MSWord, Excel, Mathcad, Revit and Solidworks
- ability to travel domestically and internationally and to remote work sites as required
Current project workload comprises a variety of project and client opportunities including:
- Design of new hydroelectric generating facilities
- Dam safety, and public safety reviews
- Hydroelectric facility audits
- Inspections, major maintenance and refurbishments of large port cranes
- Design of large water control gates.
- Conditions assessments of large gates and valves
- Slurry transport systems and cyclones for domestic and international mining clients
- Pump stations, siphons and pipeline systems
- Conventional and custom mechanical designs and systems for large infrastructure projects
- Marine and port facilities
- Mechanical design from concept to final design
- Structural and mechanical design of gates for water resource and hydroelectric projects
- Design of pumping systems, piping, heating and ventilation systems for hydro and industrial clients
- Preparation of design deliverables (drawings, specs, estimates, schedules, reports, etc.)
- Site investigations and construction monitoring
Requirements of the position:
The successful candidate(s) must possess a valid Class 5 (or equivalent) driver’s license, will be required to work in the field, and will be expected to work on one or more of the following types of projects:
Hydro Facilities and Dam projects
- Hydro projects with large reservoirs in wilderness areas.
Resource projects (mining and Oilsand slurries)
- For energy clients
- For mining clients with slurry/tailings pipelines
- Domestic and International sites
Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd. is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm with four major business units providing engineering, geoscience and environmental services in the infrastructure, mining, hydropower, transportation, ports, geotechnical, oil sands, oil and gas, environmental, and water resources sectors. We offer a full range of services from our offices in Canada, Australia, Peru, Brazil, the US and UK. Klohn Crippen Berger is a platinum member of Canada’s Best Managed Companies.
Klohn Crippen Berger’s Power and Transportation Business Unit provides multi-discipline engineering services for projects in a variety of market sectors. Our Engineering disciplines include civil, structural, geotechnical, mechanical, electrical, and hydrotechnical engineering, and environmental services.
- Our hydroelectric team performs all phases of design for hydroelectric projects for large utilities and smaller independent power projects.
- Our ports and harbours group is a leader in the development of major facilities on Canada’s coasts and internationally.
- Our structural team designs and rehabilitates; performs seismic analyses and design; and completes all elements of heavy industrial engineering.
- Our bridge engineering group designs new bridges, rehabilitates bridges, and performs construction engineering.
- Our mining design team is involved in a wide variety of projects including mine tailings for mineral and oil sands mining clients both in Canada and internationally.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified career seekers. We offer professional career development tracks, competitive salaries commensurate with experience and an attractive benefits package designed to suit your individual needs.
Are you up to the challenge?
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, simply apply online with your resume and covering letter quoting the job reference number 1481-P19. We thank all candidates for applying, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.