Seaspan is the world’s largest financial lessor in the containership leasing space with a $7bn+ balance sheet. Seaspan provides many of the world’s major shipping lines with alternatives to vessel ownership by offering long-term leases on large, modern containerships combined with industry leading ship management services. Seaspan’s 100+ vessel fleet has evolved from 2,500 TEU ships to its recently delivered 14,000 TEU vessels. Seaspan oversees and manages every aspect of the process from ship to shore. A conservative, strategic approach allows for measured and consistent growth, while a strong set of values govern the integrity of its everyday decisions. As the largest independent charter owner and manager of containerships, Seaspan is a truly global operation, employing over 4,500 people at its offices in Hong Kong, Canada, India, the United States and China, as well as on board its fleet of vessels.
The Seaspan team shares a high performance culture. Seaspan is seeking a Corporate Development Manager, APAC Operations to join the team based out of Taiwan. The Corporate Development Manager, APAC Operations is responsible for client relationship management and corporate development activities to grow Seaspan’s current client base and market share, primarily throughout the Asia Pacific. The Corporate Development Manager, APAC Operations liaises with the team in Vancouver on the operational functionality and charter-party performance of assigned vessels to provide best-in-class customer service and value-added solutions to Seaspan customers. The role will also provide area representation for our operation and support as required.
This position requires strong communication and negotiation skills, a broad understanding of our business and customers as well as proven sales/chartering experience to market, develop and seek new opportunities to grow our business. This person must be capable of proactively interfacing with Seaspan's customers/market and various industry stakeholders to sell Seaspan services and demonstrate the drive and ambition to succeed in a competitive global industry.
- Accountable for full customer and account management total care between Seaspan and customers and industry players in the designated geographical area of responsibility. Drives business activities related to development and creation of new business opportunities to maximize revenues, utilization and favorable employment rates. Develop and implement strategies to provide integrated services that meet clients’ requirements and revenue/growth for the company.
- Lead in strengthening and managing relationships with Seaspan customers through proactively engaging clients on various aspects of their business to provide Customer profile knowledge to Seaspan and to provide tailored best-in-class customer service and response to business needs, opportunities, challenges and requirements.
- Establish network of key contacts and actively markets develops and sells Seaspan’s services to grow our client base; engages with customers, financial institutions and other key stakeholders within the marine shipping community to support the development of opportunities.
- Manages projects tasks to ensure that APAC Operations meets project deadlines, assists with tracking priorities and ensures projects are completed and followed through.
- Supports APAC Operations in projects and proposals by conducting research and investment analysis with an analytical mindset, such as M&A analysis, valuations, and evaluate financing proposals and support recommendations to the Board and executives
- Build a relationship with the team in Vancouver on the operational functionality and charter-party performance of assigned vessels as well as knowledge of customer’s issues to provide best-in-class customer service and value-added solutions to Seaspan customers.
- Lead area-centric research, monitoring and reporting of market conditions, trends and chartering rates for the industry through all appropriate means.
- Monitor charter party obligations of company vessels and establish and maintain a positive working relationship with charterers while effectively identifying, communicating internally and managing risks and business interests.
- Own the continual risk assessment of vessel operations within the service of respective customers for potential loss-situations and recommend and assist with mitigation measures, across operational aspects and customer employment potential changes or development.
- Assist with compiling factual, timely information and documents relating to commercial claims (bilateral between Seaspan and customer) in terms of effective communication with customers.
- Demonstrate team work; establish rapport and maintain effective working relationships within the Seaspan office(s) and external customers and industry participants.
- Perform duties in accordance with the company Safety Management System (SMS); adhere to ISM and company standards.
- Support and manage other duties as required.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree in relevant field from a recognized institution
- Minimum three years’ experience in similar role with focus on business development/sales activities (formal sales training an asset)
- Proven track-record in corporate development, preferably in the ship chartering business, with a clear capability and understanding of full account management activities across the spectrum of customer relationship management and total care.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Able to negotiate with and influence others, establish rapport and build and maintain effective working relationships
- Good understanding of time charter parties and commercial operations, containership industry
- Must read, write and speak fluent English with a high-degree of proficiency
- Preference will be given to candidates who have fluency in Japanese
- Must be able to properly analyze situations, mitigate and manage risk, and determine a suitable course of action as part of problem-solving skills
Additional desired qualifications
- Additional languages are preferred but not required
- Containership sector experience is strongly preferred
Job demands and/ or physical requirements
- Ability to meet deadlines or accommodate time zone differences
- Availability via a mobile device outside of office hours
- A competitive compensation package will be designed to attract best-in-class talent