Seaspan Corporation (NYSE:SSW) is the world’s largest financial lessor in the containership leasing space with a $8bn+ balance sheet. Seaspan provides many of the world’s major shipping lines with alternatives to vessel ownership by offering long-term leases on large, modern containerships combined with industry leading ship management services.
Seaspan’s fleet has evolved over time to meet the varying needs of their customer base. We own vessels in a wide range of sizes, from 2,500 TEU ships to the recently delivered 14,000 TEU vessels. Seaspan oversees and manages every aspect of the process from ship to shore. A conservative, strategic approach allows for measured and consistent growth, while a strong set of values govern the integrity of their everyday decisions. As the largest independent charter owner and manager of containerships, we are truly a global operation and employ more than 4000 people at their offices in Hong Kong, Canada and India as well as on board their large fleet of vessels.
The Vice President, Projects and Technology is responsible for the overall technical strategy and roadmap for the organization, which will include the development and execution of newbuild programs in partnership with our customers. Oversight for lifecycle management and performance of existing fleet. Drive innovation in technology and IT solutions relating to best-in-class vessel design, development and performance management to improve Seaspan’s cost picture to provide commercial value proposition.
- Oversight for the Projects, Technology and Asset Integrity, and technical project management functions
- Develop and execute technical strategy focusing on environment, efficiency and performance. Particular focus to be in developing informed viewpoint/s in respect to fleet development initiatives based on evolving technologies and customer base requirements
- Lead shipyard negotiations in connection with newbuilding and drydocking programs
- Lead the planning, design and execution of newbuild programs
- Manages the risks associated with the company new build program; develops methodologies to identify and mitigate risks
- Assists with new build contract negotiations as required
- Manages the development of the specification in line with company and client requirements
- Manages supplier selection as well as monitors the performance of suppliers selected during the new build process
- Leads and oversees project plan approvals, including ship model testing, various analyses, and budget
- Plans and implements the site teams; leads the site senior management and oversees quality control of site supervision activities
- Monitors legislation development locally and internationally (IMO) as it relates to vessel design, construction, and operation
- Monitors the products and performance of manufacturers that provide materiel for vessel retrofits and/or newbuilds, especially in respect to developing technologies and applicability to our fleet
- Monitor and address vessel performance in the Seaspan fleet in coordination with Operations Department
- Leads and develops the fleet performance, cargo performance and hull structure monitoring functions
- Ensures timely and professional technical responses to client queries and requests relating to company vessels
- Engage actively with customers to promote Seaspan solutions, and discuss business opportunities in coordination with the Commercial function
- Promote and engage in Seaspan to Customer subject matter expert communication and relationship, in support of underpinning Seaspan’s reputation within our customers in respect to being knowledgeable, reliable and cooperative. Recognize the contribution to B2B relationship
- Responsibility for asset integrity and life cycle management of Seaspan’s existing fleet with a focus on reliability and cost efficiency
- Ensure that Seaspan is at the forefront of technical advancements and digital solutions, and translate this is into concrete business benefits aligned to overall company strategy
- Provide leadership and management for Project & Technology department and ensure strong alignment with cross-functional teams, where applicable
- Plans and manages the Projects and Technology department budget
- Marine engineer or naval architect
- B.Sc/Eng, M.Sc/Eng and/or Marine Engineer Class 1
- Minimum 5 years, shore leadership experience in a senior technical function, to have included shipbuilding experience
- Previous site management experience preferred
- Preferably, have professional recognition as Chartered Engineer or Professional Engineer
- Preferably, have leadership and management training such as an MBA or similar
- Member of professional institutions such as RINA or IMarEst
- Past experience in driving business benefits through innovation and digital transformation in a technical environment
- PMP preferred
- Ability to engage with senior leadership levels internally and externally with customers and vendors
- Working knowledge of mandarin preferred
If this sounds like a great opportunity for you, click on the APPLY FOR THIS POSITION button below and take a few moments to complete an application and upload your resume. Seaspan employees can apply through the Internal Career Centre, please check SeaNet for the instructions on how to do so.
We thank all applicants in advance. If your application is shortlisted to be included in the interview process, one of our professional recruiters will be in contact with you. No agency calls please.