On behalf of its client, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL), Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL), at its Historic Waste Program (HWP) Management Office in Port Hope, implements federal programs and projects related to the safe management of historic low-level waste (LLW) across Canada. The scope of work includes characterization, cleanup and interim remedial work at historic waste sites in Canada as well as the construction, operation and environmental monitoring of waste storage facilities. The project is sponsored by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), and led by CNL. CNL provides high-level strategic direction and oversight to the project via the General Manager, HWP MO.
The HWP Program Office is responsible for developing, communicating, and ensuring alignment with the vision and strategic priorities for achieving the objectives specified in the Site Operating Company (SOC) Agreement, and for meeting specific targets under the annual Performance Evaluation Measurement Plan (PEMP) and Annual Program of Work and Budget (APWB).
The Senior Business Planner reports to the Manager, HWP Program Office and is responsible to plan, develop and lead all HWP Management Office business planning and reporting requirements, while also providing operational and strategic analysis to improve performance outcomes.
· Take a lead role in the organization and development of the HWP MO contributions to the various Strategic Plans, as well as detailed annual and long-term Business Plans.
· Analyze business performance, industry trends, and their impact on business operations; make recommendations on alternative courses of action, including risk assessment.
· Assist in the development of procedures and processes to ensure compliance to CNL and Federal Government requirements.
· Be the lead in understanding the Corporate and HWP planning and reporting structure and ensure the HWP planning documents and reporting outcomes meet the needs of both the HWP/CNL and Canada, via AECL.
· Provide input to high-level reporting documents; possess a strong capability to edit content from a variety of contributors and ensure the report flow meets the requirements of the target audiences in a consistent tone/voice.
· Assist HWP’s General Manager and the Director, Business Operations in mentoring\coaching existing staff to enhance their contributions to HWP planning requirements, while also facilitating the planning processes across HWP.
· Present a variety of planning and reporting information to an array of audiences, from senior HWP staff and high-level external stakeholders, to peers and more junior employees.
· Work closely with all members within the Program Office to plan, be seen as a leader amongst that group while developing and leading business planning workshops, as required.
· Be a mentor and help develop excellence both in general business acumen and effective business writing, to peers and junior staff.
· A bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, business or a related discipline; or post-secondary education in business (MBA) with extensive related experience.
· Candidates must have five (5) to seven (7) years demonstrated experience in working with multi- disciplinary subjects/topics involving organizing, planning, coordinating, assessing, analyzing and presenting information and ideas in a coherent manner.
· A minimum of two (2) years demonstrated experience in corporate management analysis, policy analysis and in establishing and maintaining positive working relationships.
· A sound understanding of the interaction of operations, projects and supporting groups to fulfill company missions.
· Able to assume a leadership role when coordinating effort associated with assembling reports from multiple internal branches and for multiple stakeholders.
· Strong knowledge of business planning and reporting methodologies, processes and tools.
· Ability to compose and edit documents for senior management audiences to ensure messages are aligned to overall strategy, concise and effective.
· Competence and successful experience in planning and reporting within a team environment.
· Experience in reviewing strategic issues/topics and developing and writing business plans, reports, presentation packages, briefing notes and annotated agendas.
· A good understanding of the project delivery lifecycle and project management principles, combined with knowledge/familiarity with knowledge of Earn Value Management Systems (EVMS) and processes.
· Working within a federal department or crown corporation dealing with business planning and administration would be an asset.