Reporting to the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, the Director on Indigenous Academic Community Relations and Partnership Engagement is responsible for strategic planning, community consultations, co-developing and executing MOA and MOU agreements and providing advice on the responses to calls for decolonization and indigenization required for the Five-Year Academic Plan. The Director works directly with Indigenous community partners and groups, acting as a mediator to communicate the programming needs within the community to the Dean/Associate Dean and work to maintain service levels of existing MOA and MOU agreements.
- A Master’s Degree in the arts and social sciences and five years of leadership experience working with or within Indigenous communities on educational advancement.
- Expert knowledge of Indigenous governance and inherent rights to language and culture.
- Advanced knowledge of Indigenous ways of knowing, governance systems and formal settler-indigenous protocols in the Province of British Columbia.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with Indigenous nations and to build mutually respectful and lasting relationships with post-secondary institutions.
- Ability to translate and distil highly complex expectations, information and consensus in multi-stakeholder, community-driven settings for policy discussions from the formal to the informal.
- High level of inter-cultural competency and specific knowledge of the rich diversity of Indigenous groups and Nations in BC including urban and off-reserve populations.
- Capable guidance in appropriate local protocols. Affinity for cultural diplomacy, ceremonial representation.
- An experienced facilitator with outstanding collaborative, conflict negotiation and communication skills.
Assignment End Date: Three years after start, renewal for two years subject to funding.
Please note: This position is open until filled. The position is subject to funding past three (3) years. The salary is to be determined.
Please include your cover letter and resume in one attachment.